Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Will Miss #305 - cigarette brands


When I was a very small child, I used to wander around my grandparents house during my mother's visits with her mother. Since I'm 46 as of this posting, that was a long time ago. My grandfather used to collect old cigarette packs, cards, and paraphernalia and I'd entertain myself while my mother prattled with her mother by looking through his collection. That means I saw some of the types of packs, ads, etc. that showed up in the 1940's and '50's. In Japan, it's like living in those "thrilling days of yesteryear" when it comes to cigarette branding. Some of them really have the feel of the ephemeral ads from days in the past when there wasn't political correctness, a need to be cool, or knowledge that smoking can kill.

I'll miss seeing these funky, nostalgic, and (seemingly) unaware-of-the-lack-of political-correctness brands of cigarettes.