Sunday, March 21, 2010

Will Miss #142 - mild winters


Japan has a humid subtropical climate, but some northern areas do have abundant snow and very cold winters. Tokyo, however, does not have much of a true winter season at all. Since coming here about 20 years ago, I've probably seen 4 days of (appreciable) snow at most in any given winter. Most of the time, there are a few days or no days with snow at all and heavy winter clothing is not necessary. In fact, I spend a lot more money dealing with air conditioning due to heat than heating due to cold.

Since I grew up in the northeastern part of the United States, I'm accustomed to severely cold (and snowy) winter weather and have always found the mild winters in Tokyo quite comfortable for the most part. I'll miss the mild winter weather.