Thursday, January 13, 2011

Will Miss #276 - Asagaya Tanabata Festival


Every year, the Asagaya Tanabata festival takes place in my neighborhood and I complain about it. I complain because the crowds are annoying and get in my way when I need to do my regular grocery shopping or get to the local JR station. It always takes place when it's insanely hot. It is crass and merely a way for merchants to draw in a ton of people and make more money. I complain, but then I always take a bunch of pictures (many of which get used in my blogs) and think that there are a lot of cool and interesting aspects to it. The huge papier mache figures that adorn the street are deliciously ostentatious and impressive in their stature and the effort that went into them.

I think I've come to take the festival for granted, and I'm going to miss it when I'm no longer here.