Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Will Miss #243 - neighborhood freebies

The sign behind the cups on the left tells people they are welcome to take these things.

I'm not sure if this is something which is common all over Japan (or Tokyo) or if it just happens in my neighborhood, but I often see people putting out free items with a sign encouraging anyone who wants them to take the objects on offer. More often than not, it's dishes, but sometimes it is pieces of furniture, clothing, or even novel objects like Japanese dolls. I'm particularly lucky because one of the most generous people is about a minute from my apartment. I rarely take things from them, but I think it's a nice thing to do. It's neighborly and reduces waste.

I'll miss these neighborhood freebies, which are not only useful, but have uniquely Japanese items.