Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Will Miss #245 - housing brochures

 Click to see a larger version.

I have a peculiar fascination with the types of housing brochures that litter my mailbox. At least once a week, I get a large flyer advertising condominiums in my area. I'm fascinated by them for a variety of reasons. First of all, I like to see the sizes and relative prices. Second, I like to see how they conceptualize the spaces and lay them out. Third, I'm amused by the sterile, minimalist furnished spaces they show which you know no one will live like. I think I find these so interesting because of the small spaces and outrageous prices. Many Japanese folks live in spaces the size of a college dorm room, and these condos reflect a culture which is accustomed to making do with far less space.

I realize this is a strange thing to miss, but I do enjoy looking at these and will miss them.