Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Won't Miss #108 - sushi


I realize that this post makes me a gigantic heretic in the eyes of Japanophiles and foodies alike, but I don't care for sushi. I don't hate it. It doesn't make me sick and I'm not freaked out by the notion of eating raw fish. I'm simply not a big fan of it and, while I can choke some down, it doesn't do anything for me. I don't like the texture of the toppings or the smell of nori. I also just can't get all worked up about rice with vinegar. My lack of enthusiasm for sushi is immeasurable. And I'm tired of being asked if I can or often eat it because of the presumption that foreigners are too unsophisticated to "get" the delicate appeal of a cuisine that was created mainly because of a lack of preservation methods for the involved components.

I won't miss omnipresent sushi or being asked about whether I "can" eat it.