Friday, December 18, 2009

Won't Miss #94 - having to carry an alien registration card


By law, foreigners have to carry their alien registration cards with them at all times in Japan and present the card if any official requests that one to do so. If you don't carry it with you, you are subject to a possible $2000 (200,000 yen) fine and being taken into the police station for interrogation. The latter has a very high chance of happening, the former, I'm not so sure about, but that is the law. I've been told true stories of people who were approached by the police and asked to present their cards while stepping out in their robes to take out the trash or check their mail. The worst part is that the police don't want to allow you to simply go get the card and show it. They want someone to bring it to you, even if it's just a few dozen feet away.

I won't miss having to make sure I have my gaijin card on me when I place a foot outside my door.