Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Won't Miss #158 - loud gulping in drink commercials


Some time ago, I can't recall when, Japanese beverage manufacturers decided that the experience of sucking down a can of beer would be more appealing to consumers if they showed someone with their head thrown back pouring the contents directly down their throat (bypassing that pesky tongue and taste buds) while playing a loud exaggerated swallowing noise. I hate that sound effect with the flaming passion of a hundred suns. It seems to be saying that noisy food and drink consumption is supposed to be something I find appealing. I'd no more enjoy listening to monstrously loud gulping noises than someone loudly chewing their food. Every time I have the misfortune of seeing one of those commercials, I scramble for the remote so I can mute before it reaches the inevitable conclusion.

I won't miss these commercials with these gross sound effects.