Friday, July 16, 2010

Will Miss #202 - Amazon Japan


I have never lived in a major city in the United States, and have only lived in a major city in Japan. I cannot speak for the speed of service of Amazon outside of Tokyo (or in U.S. cities), but I can say that, in my experience, they are incredibly impressive. When I order an item, it's common for it to arrive in under 24 hours. In Japan, many mail order businesses have a warehouse distribution system that is set up to make sure that items reach their destination quickly. Instead of storing items in centralized proprietary warehouses, they are placed in storage at multiple locations and managed by courier services so that those services can pluck the inventory from the nearest warehouse and send it on its way.

I will miss the excellent service when ordering from Amazon Japan.