Thursday, October 13, 2011

Won't Miss #376 - cicadas

Yes, it's dead. I rarely see a live one. I just hear them incessantly for months.

I'm sure there are plenty of places in which cicadas reside. For all I know, I experienced them back home, but they weren't nearly as strongly associated with negative experiences there as they are here. What I don't remember about them anywhere else is experiencing them for so long or at such high volume. There's also the fact that they are herald's of the horrific and endless heat of summer. When they start dying, it means that suffering through 80 degree nights and 95 degree days is going to end. It's the only death I celebrate.

I won't miss Tokyo's cicadas, and how long they are around, how loud they are, and how they accompany the longest stretch of uncomfortable weather.