Thursday, January 2, 2014

Will Miss #531 - card delivery on holidays


This year, I had some expectations that I'd receive some real Christmas cards. No, I did not expect to receive them from Americans. I expected to get them from Japanese friends and I did receive a few (and they were gorgeous). When Christmas day arrived and I'd only gotten four cards, I had a strange sense of anticipation about possibly getting just one more on the holiday itself. Of course, in the U.S., there is no mail on national holidays. In Japan, I simply got spoiled by the fact that they deliver cards on the biggest holiday of the year - New Year's.

There was a culture in which New Year's cards played a huge role in the celebration of the holiday which created circumstances in which the post office delivered on that day. I miss having this to look forward to.